Last Weekend in February!
I can’t believe February’s almost over! Plus the break’s just flown by for us– hope you’re all enjoying it.
Oh, and guess what? I’m going to be on local tv talking about cold-weather fun. Because, you know, I’m all about the fun. It’s on Parentology, a parenting show that airs at 8:30 am on Sundays on the CW, which is cable channel 15 or channel 45 if you’re a rabbit-ears-using-Luddite like me. I’ve never done anything for tv before, so I’m sort of excited about–and sort of dreading–watching it. We’ll see how it goes. If you don’t know me personally and you watch it, I’m going to make a prediction that I’m just like that except prettier, thinner, and less dorky in person.
Here’s what I’ve found for this weekend. Oh, and if you’re looking for an outing, All Over Albany recently posted about visiting Howe Caverns. There was also some comment-love for Secret Caverns. I’ve never visited either, but it did make me think that I’ve got to add it to my list of things to do.
- There’s a Home & Garden Show in Saratoga Springs. Malta Mama’s got the scoop.
- Disney’s The Lion King continues at Proctors.
- The New York State Museum‘s annual New York in Bloom continues. It’s $5 admission, kids 12 and under free.
- Sesame Street Live presents Elmo’s Green Thumb at the Palace Theatre in Albany. Tickets range from $15 to $67, and shows continue through the weekend.
Evening of Friday, February 25th:
- Candyland in Schenectady will have a Parents’ Night Out from 5:30-8:30 pm. It’s $25/child, and $15/additional sibling, and you have to pre-register and put down a $10 deposit.
- It’s Troy Night Out from 5-9 pm.
- Sesame Street Live present’s Elmo’s Green Thumb at the Palace Theatre in Albany at 7 pm. Tickets range from $15 to $67, and shows continue through the weekend.
- At 7:30 pm there’s a Homespun Barn Dance in Delmar.
Saturday, February 26th:
- From 9-11 am, they’re reading stories at Target as part of Read Across America.
- Take a Snowshoe Walk at Thacher at 10 am.
- There’s a Mohawk Language Workshop from 10 am to noon at Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site. It’s billed as appropriate for all ages, and it’s $5/person.
- It’s Cherry Plain State Park Winterlude Outdoor Day from 10 am to 3 pm. Bonfire, cocoa, snowshoes, and other activities.
- At 11 am, take a Snowshoe Walk at the Albany Pine Bush at 11 am. It’s $3/person, $5/family, and snowshoes will be provided.
- Take a Snowshoe Hike at 1 pm at Up Yonda Farm. $7/person includes snowshoe rental.
- It’s Family Saturday at the Tang Museum from 2-3:30 pm. Free, geared for kids ages 5 and up.
- It’s the Russian Winter Festival from noon to 6 pm in Troy. $5/adult, $3/kids 5 to 12, kids under 5 free.
- Does your kid love dogs? Check out Barking at Bach at the Bach Branch Library at 2 pm.
- At 7 pm, the College of Saint Rose presents Freedom Summer. It’s free.
Sunday, February 27th:
- At 8:30 am it’s the Parentology show!
- There’s a long winter walk looking at Porcupine in the Woods at Thacher beginning at 10 am. I think this one’s probably only appropriate for older kids.
- From 1-3 pm, the main Albany Public Library will have a variety of fun activities to teach kids about finances, including a performance by Mr. Magicman. It’s not on the website, but they sent out an email about this event.
- They’re showing Free Willy at 1 pm at the Albany Pine Bush Discovery Center.
- The Harlem Globetrotters are performing at 2 pm at the Times Union Center. Tickets range from $20 to $124.
- At 2:30 pm, Jackie Morse Kessler, author of Hunger, will be at Bethlehem Public Library.
- Octavos Vocal Ensemble will be performing at 2:30 pm at the downtown Schenectady Public Library.