Mohu Fest, Fall Festivals, Goold Apple Festival, Smokey the Bear, Harlem Gospel Choir, and More this Columbus Day Weekend
I know it’s disorienting, but we might have to see if we can get through a weekend without constant pouring rain. Yippee!
As always, please let me know if you have additions or corrections in the comments. If you put them up quick, I try to move them into the main listings. Here’s what I’ve found:
- On Saturday and Sunday, Goold Orchards is having their annual Apple Festival.
- From noon to 8 pm on Saturday & Sunday, it’s the Columbus Day Festival at Cook Park in Colonie. Italian food and music, rides.
- This weekend kicks off the first-ever Mohu Fest, “a celebration of the vitality of the arts and culture in the Capital Region.”
- The Albany Devils play their first home game Saturday night at 7 pm with another game scheduled for Sunday at 4 pm. Tickets are $12.50 and up for youths 2 to 12, $15.50 and up for adults.
Evening of Friday, October 7th:
- It’s First Friday in Albany from 5-9 pm.
- My Place to Play is having a Parents’ Night Out. Drop off kids ages 4 and up from 5:30-8:30 pm for $15 each.
- It’s First Friday in Ballston Spa from 6-9 pm.
Saturday, October 8th:
- From 10 am to noon, go on a Mushroom Foray at Albany Pine Bush.
- It’s a Fall Festival from 10 am to 4 pm at Thacher. $6/car.
- Take a Fall Hike at 10 am at Mine Kill State Park.
- From 1-3 pm, it’s Creative Art Day at the New York State Museum. The theme is NYC tenements.
- Take a Moreau Lake Kayak from 1-3 pm.
- At 2 pm, the Wood Theater in Glens Falls presents The Adventures of Stuart Little.
- Learn about how to identify trees by color at 2 pm at Five Rivers.
- From 2:30-4:30 pm, kids ages 8 and up can do some hands-on building with Erector Sets at East Greenbush Community Library.
- The Gazillion Bubble Show at Proctors was cancelled.
- Keller Williams has a family show at The Egg. Tickets are $20, and there’s a drum circle at 2:30 pm, followed by the show at 3:30 pm.
- From 4:30-6 pm, go on a Trick or Treat Nature Trail at Grafton Lakes State Park. For ages 5 to 10, $2/person.
- At 7 pm, the Harlem Gospel Choir is performing at HVCC. $10 admission goes to charity.
Sunday, October 9th:
- At 9 am, it’s the Pop Warner Cheer & Dance Competition at Glens Falls Civic Center. $15/person.
- From 9 am to 4 pm, it’s the annual Way We Were Car Show in Ballston Spa.
- There’s a Family Fall Festival at the Ulysses S. Grant Cottage from10 am to 3 pm.
- From 10 am to 4 pm, Hawthorne Valley Association is having a Fall Festival in Ghent.
- Go on a Tree Trek at 1 pm at Albany Pine Bush.
- From 10 am until noon, you can take a Corn Husk Doll Making Class at Mabee Farm. It’s $30 plus $5 for materials, which is, I’m sorry, freaking outrageously expensive.
- From 11:30 am to 1 pm, there’s a Fall Festival in Ballston Spa.
Columbus Day: Monday, October 10th:
- From 9 am to 4 pm, it’s School Vacation Camp: Kookie Concoctions at the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology. It’s for ages 5 to 11, and it’s $55/day for non-members.
- From 10 am to noon, Smokey Bear visits the Albany Pine Bush.
- At 11 am, it’s Music for All Ages at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library.
- From 2-3 pm, the Children’s Museum at Saratoga is having a special City by Design program for kids in first grade and up. It’s free, but you must pre-register.
- At 2:30 pm, kids in grades K-7 can go to a Percy Jackson-inspired Toga Party at Bethlehem Public Library. Bring your own sheet.
- Go on a Moreau Overlook Hike from 4-6 pm.
October 6, 2011 No Comments