Holiday High Gear in the Capital District: Tree Lightings, Santa, & More
It’s another one of those listings posts where I run out of energy before I run out of possible events to list. I’ve done what I can.
Because I’m tired out, I feel the need for a minor rant. I don’t like noisy websites. Seriously, people, I do not want a video to play automatically when I go to your site. It’s rude. It’s intrusive. Just put the stupid screen there with a little arrow which I will press if I so choose. Because maybe I’m listening to music already. Or I’m in front of the tv. Or I don’t want my kids to hear about something and ask me about it. I’m sure that there are people who are at work who don’t want a sudden, unexpected video to play, either. Just quit it.
Guess what? Tomorrow I’ll have information on a Disney on Ice Ticket Giveaway!! Yippee!
Here’s what I’ve found for the week. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for random holiday fun, don’t forget to check out *Christmas Fun in the Capital District. And yes, of course, additions are welcome.
- The Schenectady JCC is having a Scholastic Book Fair all week from 9 am to 6 pm. It’s open to the public and it’s in the main lobby, so if you’ve never been there, it will be almost impossible to get lost.
- The Addams Family is running from Tuesday the 29th through December 4th at Proctors. It’s recommended for ages 10 and up, and tickets cost $20 to $70.
- The Saratoga Festival of Trees runs from Wednesday the 30th through December 4th. $6/adult, $3/kid under 10.
- The Schenectady County Historical Society‘s Annual Festival of Trees continues through December 11th.
- The Polar Express continues.
- There are Capital Holiday Lights in Washington Park in Albany.
Monday, November 28th:
- From noon until 3 pm, take a Moreau Overlook Hike.
- The Colonie Town Band is performing a free holiday concert at 7 pm at the Colonie Town Hall.
Tuesday, November 29th:
- Take a Lake Ann Hike from 10 am ’til noon at Lake Moreau.
- There’s a Tree Lighting on Upper Union Street in Schenectady at 6 pm. Santa Claus and a choir at Trustco Bank at 1620; bring a toy for the drive.
- It’s Pajamarama at 7 pm at Bethlehem Public Library.
Wednesday, November 30th:
- At 10:30 am, kids up to age 6 can enjoy Stories and Play at Bethlehem Public Library.
- The Saratoga Springs Christmas Tree Lighting is tonight at 7 pm. Santa, Mrs. Claus, and a snack for kids.
- There’s a Phantoms hockey game at 7 pm at Glens Falls Civic Center. Tickets are $13 and up.
Thursday, December 1st:
- School-age kids can be Afterschool Adventurers at Albany Pine Bush from 3:30-4:30 pm. Free, but pre-registration is required (you can do it online).
- The Rensselaer County Historical Society kicks off their annual Greens Show with a Family Night from 5-8 pm. Free admission, crafts for kids, and photos with Santa. The show continues through the weekend with admission of $7/adult, $3/kids over 4, kids 4 and under 3.
- It’s the 25th annual Saratoga Springs Victorian Streetwalk from 6 ’til 10 pm. Santa, reindeer, carolers, and more. What’s wrong with me that I can’t hear the name of this event without thinking prostitution? Clearly I have issues.
Friday, December 2nd:
- It’s a GE Kids in Free Friday at the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology.
- Take a noon First Friday Hike at Albany Pine Bush. Pre-register.
- At 1 pm it’s the final Stewardship Walk in Clifton Park.
- Once again, Ballston Spa Rocks the Holidays beginning tonight at 5 pm with festivities including a parade and continuing through the weekend.
- There’s a Winter Decorations Workshop from 6-9 pm at Mine Kill State Park. Pre-register; it’s $5.
- The Albany Devils play Friday at 7 pm. Prices are $15 to $30.
- It’s a Jazzy Christmas at the College of St. Rose at 7 pm. Tickets are $20/adult, $10/student, children 6 and under free.