Adirondack Balloon Festival, Pedal-Paddle-Run, LarkFEST, SJCC Kids Run, and Tons of Corn Mazes and Other Fall Fun This Weekend
Hey! We had J’s Back-to-School Night tonight. She is finally starting to settle down after being a stress monster for the first two weeks, so that’s good. I’m going to be on WNYT Newschannel 13′s Live at Noon this coming Monday. So go ahead and plan your day around that. Or don’t. Luckily this appearance will be prop-free.
Okay! It’s a crazy-busy weekend. Here’s this week’s KidsOutAndAbout newsletter, and here’s what’s up this weekend:
- Festival of Nations at Crown Point State Historic Site. The Festival of Nations is a three-day event, Sept. 20-22, offered jointly by New York State’s Crown Point State Historic Site and the Vermont’s Chimney Point Historic Site
- Women’s Weekend at Camp Little Notch at Friends of Camp Little Notch. Women’s weekend is a special time for all Little Notch women—past, present, and future—who want to be part of our strong and caring community.
- Adirondack Balloon Festival at Adirondack Balloon Festival. The oldest and largest balloon event on the East Coast set against the Adirondack Mountains.
- Dinosaurs! @ miSci at miSci Museum of Innovation and Science (formerly the Schenectady Museum). Discover dinosarus at miSci this summer! This exhibit closes after next weekend.
- Ghost The Musical at Proctors Theatre at Proctors Theater. Relive the iconic and magical moments from the Oscar-winning movie Ghost in a brand-new Broadway musical. Ghost The Musical breathes glorious new life into a timeless love story.
- Troy Restaurant Week at Troy, New York Downtown Business Improvement District. From September 16th through September 22nd, Troy’s featured restaurants will be offering delectable prix-fix menus and special items at up to four different price points.
- Heroic Corn Maze: A Corn Maze Adventure at Fort Ticonderoga. Can you conquer our corn maze?
- Hayrides to pick your own pumpkins and corn maze at Schuyler Farms. Take a hayride to pick your own pumpkin, grab a dozen of fresh hot cider donuts and then ‘Get Lost’ in the 7-acre corn maze! Fall fun for everyone!
- Samascott’s Corn Maze at Samascott’s Garden Market. Our 2nd annual corn maze is open! Get lost in 7 acres of corn hidden behind our Garden Market. Admission is $7/person, kids are 4 are free.
- Signing Smart Play Class- Come learn sign language! (Beginner Level) at Happy Babble. Come sing, sign & play! Come learn how to integrate ASL (American Sign Language) signs and communication strategies into daily life. Classes are for children and parents/caregivers ages 6 months to 2 years.
- Opening Season Fall Festival at Liberty Ridge Farm . Fall days have never been so much fun, barnyard games, shows, and the area’s largest and original cornfield maze will wow the kiddos, teens and adults. 100 acres of fall fun with more than 20 hands on farmtastic activities that entertain all ages.
- Farm Fest 2013 at Town of Clifton Park. A Celebration of Farming in Clifton Park
- Weekly Story Time for Preschool Children at Stephentown Memorial Library. Join Jane Halleck for Stories, Songs and a craft each Wednesday morning
Friday, September 20th:
- Friday, September 20: Wiggle & Giggle at The Children’s Museum at Saratoga. A time for children to explore the many different things that they can do with their bodies! Crawl through tunnels, walk the balance beam, roll balls, toss bean bags, and make music with all kinds of musical instruments.
- Friday, September 20: Art Night Schenectady at Art Night Schenectady. Celebrate the visual and performing arts, music and fun throughout Schenectady on the third Friday of each month
- Friday, September 20: “I CAN SKATE!” tm at Rollarama Skating Center, Inc.. FREE learn to skate, learn the basics instructional class offered at Rollarama Skating Center, every Friday night at 6:30 pm, ending at 7:00 pm.
- Friday, September 20: Fun Fall Fridays at Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park. Location: TBD (please call)
- Friday, September 20: PARENTS NIGHT OUT – Every Third Friday of the Month at Tiny Tots Tea Room . Plan a Date – And we will provide the Sitter!!!
- Friday, September 20: Moreau Lake Kayak at Moreau Lake State Park. Come kayaking with us!
Saturday, September 21st:
- Saturday, September 21: Open House at Performance School of the Arts. Performance School of the Arts will be having an Open House this Saturday, September 21st from 10:00am – 4:00pm!
- Saturday, September 21: Pedal-Paddle-Run 2013 at Schenectady County. A day of wellness & community-building, fun, fitness, & celebration. Businesses, not-for-profits, community groups, fitness club, & youth organizations are invited to team up against one another in the spirit of friendly competition!
- Saturday, September 21: LarkFEST ! at Lark Street Business Improvement District. New York’s largest one day street festival! It is one of Albany’s most anticipated events!
- Saturday, September 21: RAPTOR RAPTURE at Friends of the IBA. Follow a birding trail thru the NY State museum to learn about our most endangered birds and their habitats! Keep an eye out for live owls, hawks and falcons along the way! Track owls with DEC, draw birds, dissect owl pellets and much more!
- Saturday, September 21: Family Fun Day: Raptor Rapture presented by Friends of the I.B.A. and Audubon Society of the Capital Region at New York State Museum. Children of all ages can learn about New York State’s most endangered birds. There will be hands-on children’s activities, interactive games, treasure hunts and more. Have a chance to get up close to birds of prey found in this region!
- Saturday, September 21: Hellions of Troy Annual Charity Roller Derby Bout at Hellions of Troy Roller Derby Team. It’s Cats vs. Dogs in this charity bout to benefit the Annual Protective Foundation and Peaceful Acres Horses. Come have some fun for a great cause!
- Saturday, September 21: Iroquois Social Dancing & Stories From The Longhouse at The Arts Center of the Capital Region. Learn about the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) through traditional songs, social dances and stories appropriate for all ages.
- Saturday, September 21: Story Art at The Children’s Museum at Saratoga. Reading together is always better, so please join us on Wednesdays or Saturdays for an exciting new story each week!
- Saturday, September 21: 2013 Mushroom Festival at Huyck Preserve. Mushroom identification walks, mushroom craft for kids, and more.
- Saturday, September 21: Fall Festival and Parade at Halfmoon Celebrations. Join us for our Fall Festival and Parade at the Halfmoon Town Park! Parade kicks off at noon on Route 236, Halfmoon and will end at the Halfmoon Town Park for our Fall Festival! Big Sky Country music with vendors, food, and family fun for all ages!
- Saturday, September 21: Albany Star Sighting at Albany Heritage Area Visitors Center & Henry Hudson Planetarium. Interactive program identifies stars, planets, comets and constellations in the night sky and the tools and techniques for becoming an amateur astronomer. Geared for skywatchers ages 8 and above.
- Saturday, September 21: Social Saturday at The Wonder Room at The Wonder Room. On Saturdays we do something special. Come and bring your family!
- Saturday, September 21: Festival of Nations at Crown Point State Historic Site. The Festival of Nations is a three-day event, Sept. 20-22, offered jointly by New York State’s Crown Point State Historic Site and the Vermont’s Chimney Point Historic Site
- Saturday, September 21: Family Hike in Thacher Park at Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center. Bring the entire family on this kid-friendly walk through the forest.
- Saturday, September 21: FREE SAT Practice Test at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. FREE SAT Practice Test Saturday September 21, 2013 Comfort Suites Clifton Park.
- Saturday, September 21: 5th Annual Nisky Fall Fun Run at Niskayuna, Town of . 5K Run, 100 yard dash for kids, and 1 mile run. Fun for the whole family, and your registration fee directly supports Niskayuna youth camps, sports, arts & educational programs which serve thousands of children each year.
- Saturday, September 21: Fall Butterfly & Flower Walk at Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park. Location: Camp Saratoga on Scout Road (Please park in Parking Lot 1)
- Saturday, September 21: The College of Saint Rose Camerata Family Weekend Concert: Celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month at Massry Center for the Arts at The College of St. Rose. The College’s distinguished faculty chamber ensemble kicks off its 11th season with a celebration of National Hispanic Heritage month. The ensemble will perform works by composers from Spain and South America.
- Saturday, September 21: Eric Carle Book Signing at The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. Meet Eric Carle! See below signing guidelines. A limited number of tickets will be distributed the day of the event. No tickets are available in advance.
- Saturday, September 21: Children’s Star Sighting Show at Albany Heritage Area Visitors Center & Henry Hudson Planetarium. Interactive program exploring the stars, planets, comets and constellations in the night sky. Geared to children ages 3-7 and their families.
Sunday, September 22nd:
- Sunday, September 22: SJCC Kids Fun Run and Fall Fest at Schenectady Jewish Community Center (JCC). Everyone’s welcome to the Schenectady JCC for a kids’ 1-mile fun run followed by a fall festival with vendors, crafters, bouncy-bounce, pony rides, petting zoo, and other activities.
- Sunday, September 22: FIRST DAY OF FALL NATURE WALK at Landis Arboretum. As the seasons change, so does the Arboretum. This easy walk along trails through field and forest will give us a chance to see what’s happening in nature as summer ends and winter approaches.
- Sunday, September 22: Albany Walk for Farm Animals at Albany Walk for Farm Animals. The Walk for Farm Animals supports Farm Sanctuary’s mission to stop animal abuse and suffering. It supports our work to rescue farm animals, provide urgent care and lifelong refuge, as well as our education and advocacy efforts for farm animals.
- Sunday, September 22: Fall Fun Day at Glenmont PTA. Join us at Glenmont Elementary, 328 Rte 9W in Glenmont for a day of fun, food, entertainment and a silent auction to benefit Project Playground! Visit our website at www.glenmontplayground or www.glenmontpta.org for more details. SEE YOU THERE!!!!!
- Sunday, September 22: The Upper Madison Street Fair at Beautify Upper Madison Project. BUMP invites you to kick off the season with the family-friendly Upper Madison Street Fair on Sunday, September 22 from 12pm-5pm located between S. Allen and W. Lawrence Streets, for an afternoon of music, dancing, art, food, and fun for all ages!
- Sunday, September 22: Playground Fun – Meet & Greet w/SaratogaCountyMommies at SaratogaCountyMommies.com. Come out and play with us! We are going to have some fun on the playground while the Mommies chit chat and play with the kids.
- Sunday, September 22: Annual Nutcracker Auditions at Myers Dance Center. Sunday, Sept. 22, 12 – 5 PM Proctors Theatre – Schenectady