Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. Here’s what’s happening this weekend:
- Melodies of Christmas is playing all weekend at Proctors.
- NYSTIâ€˜s A Christmas Carol continues this weekend. Itâ€™s recommended for ages 7 and up.
- Home Made Theater presents Ramona Quimby this weekend.
- Capital Repertory Theatre in Albany continuesÂ A Christmas Story.
- Disneyâ€™s Toy Story 3 on Ice is at Albanyâ€™s Time Union Center. Shows include evenings as well as various times throughout the day. Tickets range from $13 to $56 depending on where youâ€™re sitting.
- Windham Mountain will have special discounts to anyone dressed as Santa. But you have to pre-register. And wear a beard.
- The model trains are out at the Schenectady Museum.
- Santa’s Magical Adventure continues at Steamer 10 Theatre.
- On Friday & Saturday, there’s a family-friendly version of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas at Genet Elementary School in East Greenbush. It’s $7/person.
Evening of Friday 12/17:
- Itâ€™s Art Night Schenectady from 5-9 pm.
- The Wood Theater in Glens Falls is playing the movie Elf at 6 & 9 pm.Â $6/ticket.
- At 6:30 pm, take an Almost Winter Solstice Hike at Albany Pine Bush. Itâ€™s $2/person, $5/family.
- At 7 pm, Itâ€™s a Wonderful Life will be playing at the Palace Theater in Albany.
- Theyâ€™re showing Despicable Me at 7 pm at the East Greenbush Public Library. Itâ€™s free and drop-in.
- Shenendehowa United Methodist Church is hosting a free Celtic Concert at 7 pm.
- Thereâ€™s a Caroling Sing-along at the Dominican Retreat & Conference Center in Niskayuna at 7:30 pm.
- At 7:30 pm, folks from The Center for Disability Services will perform A Christmas Carol at Cohoes Music Hall. It’s $15/ticket for the general public.
- Kids can make a snow globe at 10 am at Moreau Lake.
- At 10:30 am, they’re making Solstice Sun Catchers at Thacher Nature Center. This is a bit ambitious, appropriate for ages 12 and up, with a cost of $4 for materials, plus a request to bring along supplies.
- From 11 am to noon, Brown School kids will be playing bells and caroling up and down Upper Union Street again this Saturday.
- At 11 am, kids can learn about some Awesome Astronomy at the Bethlehem Public Library.
- There’s a Children’s Planetarium Show at Henry Hudson Planetarium in Albany at 11 am.
- From 11 am to 1 pm, kids can have cookies with the Saratoga Santa while you taste some wine at the Saratoga Winery and Tasting Room.
- Kids 5 and up can make their own Snow Globes at the Children’s Museum of Science & Technology.Â Pre-registration required, $2/non-member.
- Pruyn House in Colonie is hosting a Children’s Party from 1-3 pm. Reservations are required.
- From 1-4 pm, it’s Art for All at the Albany Institute of History & Art.
- At 2 pm, the Zucchini Brothers will be performing at The Egg. It’s $12/ticket.
- At 2:30 pm, Niskayuna High School students will be dressed in Victorian garb and leading a sing-along on Upper Union Street (specifically in front of Northeast Fine Jewelers. I believe that this will be a fun group. At least, the grown-ups.
- At 7:30 pm, there’sÂ Sing SOLSTICE at Proctors. It’s a multi-cultural celebration, $24 for general admission.
- The Schenectady JCC is having a Family Fun Celebration from 12:30-3:30 pm.
- At 1 pm, kids can learn about Animal Tracks and do a craft at the Children’s Museum of Science & Technology. Pre-registration required, and it’s $2/non-member.
- The Guilderland Public Library is hosting a Suburban Sounds Holiday Concert at 2 pm.
- Go on a Discovery Hike at the Albany Pine Bush at 2 pm. $2/person.
- At the Bethlehem Public Library, the Squeeze-Play Accordion Band will play holiday songs at 2 pm.
- From 2-3 pm, there will be a Live Animal Demonstration at the Children’s Museum at Saratoga.
- At 3 pm, the Octavo Singers will perform the Messiah at Union College. It’s $20/adult, $10 student.
- At 3 pm, the Choraliers will perform a holiday concert at St. Luke’s Church in Schenectady. It’s $10/adult, kids under 10 free, and it’s raising funds for the Schenectady Free Health Clinic.
- The Empire State Youth Orchestra will have a Wind Orchestra concert at 3 pm (which is apparently the best possible time for classic music concerts) at the College of St. Rose. It’s $8/adult, $5/child.
- The Albany Berkshire Ballet is performing The Nutcracker at The Egg at 3:30 and 7:30 pm today. They’ll have another performance on Monday at 10:30 am.
- The Albany Figure Skating Club is having an Ice Show from 4-6 pm at the Bethlehem Y. $2/adult, $1/kids 6 and up, under 5 free.