Yikes!Â I keep having to update with items I’d squirreled any in my email and forgotten–sorry!
Did anybody else catch that super-gorgeous rainbow today at about, um, 5:45 pm?Â We so completely deserved that rainbow, didn’t we?Â Â I mean, seriously, we made it through a lot of rain.Â I was over-volunteering at elementary school today, and I’m beginning to freak out about how much I haven’t done yet to get ready for J’s birthday party.Â But at least I’ve gotten the weekend post done!Â I’m going to celebrate with some ice cream.Â You do realize that there’s a big ol’ ice cream sale at Stewart’s through the weekend, right?Â Yeah, baby!
- Goold Orchard is having their annual Apple Festival with crafters, wine tasting, and more.Â It’s 9 am to 5 pm on Saturday and Sunday, and it’s $8/adult, kids 12 and under free.
- It’s the Family Farm Olympics at Liberty Ridge Farm from noon to 5 pm Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.Â Thanks to Erin for passing this one on.
- There’s a History Fair at the Old Stone Fort on Saturday & Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.Â $7/adult, kids under 17 free.
- The Miracle Worker is playing at the New York State Theatre Institute.
Evening of Friday, October 8th:
- From 6:30-8 pm, thereâ€™s a program called Bats: Designed for Darkness at the Albany Pine Bush.Â Pre-registration is required, and itâ€™s $2/child or $5/family.
Saturday, October 9th:
- Alright, it’s all the way in Lenox, MA, but the Medieval Faire seems like a big deal.Â $22/adult, $12/kids 5-17, under 5 free.
- Another long drive is the FASNY Museum of Firefighting’s Dalmatian Day in Hudson, New York.Â For a particular firefighter-dog obsessed kid, it might be worth a trip.Â Although, heck, maybe you should just head to Saratoga in the afternoon.
- From 8 am to noon in Glens Falls, the farmers’ market will include a Pumpkin Festival with free pony rides and other activities.
- Take a Fall Foliage Walk at Thacher at 10 am.
- At Dyken Pond, there’s a Junior Naturalist program on Bats from 10 am to noon.Â $3/child or $6/family.Â Pre-registration encouraged, but not required.
- From 10 am to 4 pm, there’s the Annual Fall Festival & Car Show at Maple Ski Ridge in Schenectady.
- From 10 am to 5 pm, you can take a Saratoga Farm Tour.
- From 11-11:45 am it’s Furry Tales and Touchables at the New York State Museum.Â This is a free program designed for 4- to 6-year-olds.
- From 11 am to 2 pm, the Children’s Guide is hosting a Fall Festival at the Cicotti Center.Â It’s $3/child.
- From noon to 5:30 pm, it’s the annual Columbus Italian Festival in Washington Park in Albany.Â Free, with music, food, and kids’ stuff.
- From 1-3 pm, there’s a Halloween Party at Colonie Center.Â Radio Disney, costume parade, and treats.
- From 1-3 pm, families are invited to enjoy a Creative Art Day at the New York State Museum.Â Meanwhile, from 1:30-4 pm, tweens and teens are encouraged to get some inspiration from the exhibits and create Still Life Drawings from items in the New York State Museum’s collections.Â This is free and self-guided.
- From 1-4 pm, the Children’s Museum at Saratoga has a free Smoke Bus program where kids can learn about fire safety with firefighters.
- From 5-7Â pm, it’s Spectres, Strange Sights, and Visions at the Schuyler Mansion.Â Ghostly tales, cider, and refreshments.Â Suggested donation of $2/person.
Sunday, October 10th:
- It’s the Carrot Festival at Congregation Agudat Achim on Route 7 in Niskayuna. This is free festival with plenty of kids activities.Â And look, M, it’s on a Sunday!
- From 9 am to 4 pm, it’s The Way We Were Car Show at Wiswall Park in Ballston Spa.Â Free admission for spectators.
- According to the Rensselaer County Calendar, there’s a long stealth Capture the Flag game at Dyken Pond, but I couldn’t find information on it at their website.
- From 11 am to 7:30 pm, it’s the Sons of Italy Columbus Festival in Cook Park in Colonie.Â Free.
- At the Albany Pine Bush, there are hikes at 11:30 am and 1 pm.
- At 1 pm, members of the Berkshire Ballet will perform along with a storytime about a ballet-dancing pig at the Barnes & Noble at Colonie Center.
- From 1-3 pm, take a Fall Foliage Hike at Dyken Pond.
- From 1-2:30 pm, it’s a Family Sunday at the Troy Center for the Arts.Â Today’s theme is the Day of the Dead.Â Â Pre-register; it’s $5/person.
- At 1 pm, learn about Solar Science at the Children’s Museum of Science & Technology.Â Â Pre-register, and it’s $2/non-member.