I wanted to take a quick minute to tell you about one of my favorite fundraisers: Dining for Dollars. You sign up and someone delivers a lasagna dinner with bread, salad, and assorted other items to your door in time for dinner on Tuesday, December 11th, and then you mail a donation of whatever you think is appropriate, and it goes to Katrina, Irene, and Sandy hurricane relief efforts. You don’t have to cook or even think about dinner and you don’t have to feel guilty about take-out because it’s a good cause. The meals are all vegetarian, and you can request gluten-free. I highly recommend it. Sign up now!
Here’s this week’s KidsOutAndAbout.com newsletter in which I poured my heart out a little bit more than usual. It’s also got links to lists of where to cut your own tree, where to see holiday lights, a fun giveaway, and more.
It’s another weekend jam-packed full of fun in the Capital District. On Friday afternoon I’m stopping by/possibly lingering at the Nature Exploration Event & Nature Park Rally at Birchwood Elementary School. That night we have a craft night at the girls’ school. Saturday is a Girl Scouts “Elf Fest” and a soccer game, and on Sunday we’re going to see Little Shop of Horrors at Schenectady Light Opera Company–there’s actually a bit more going on than that, but those are our highlights
- C-R Productions’ Holiday SpecialÂ atÂ Cohoes Music Hall
- This Wonderful Life at Capital Repertory Theatre
- The Theatre Institute at Sage presents Willy Wonka
- PippinÂ and/or Snow QueenÂ atÂ Steamer No. 10 Theatre
- Little Shop of Horrors at Schenectady Light Opera Company We’re going to be there watching the show this Sunday! Super-excited to see our neighbors.
- The Wizard of Oz, a production of Home Made Theater at Saratoga Spa State Park
- Holiday trains, Seeing exhibition, and Â ‘Tis the Season Planetarium Show @ miSciÂ atÂ miSci Museum of Innovation and Science (formerly the Schenectady Museum)
- Northeast Ballet’s Annual Nutcracker at Proctors TheatreÂ atÂ Proctors Theater –remember I shared my friend’s impressions of the audition process? This is the show!
- Friends of the Library Present : Holiday Fantasy and Festival of TreesÂ atÂ Brunswick Community Library
- Nature Exploration Event & Nature Park Rally at Birchwood Elementary School Walk the nature trail, see birds of prey, learn about nature and gardening, hot chocolate and cookies, too –I’m planning to be here for at least a little while, so come say hi!
- GE Kids in Free Fridays at CMOSTÂ atÂ The Children’s Museum of Science and Technology
- Eagle SurveyÂ atÂ Moreau Lake State Park
- Dance Storytime with Ellen SinopoliÂ atÂ Troy Public Library
- First Friday Hike at Albany Pine Bush
- Fun Nature Film, Craft, and Snack at the OfficeÂ atÂ Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park
- Pre-School Story Hour with Pam at the Open Door Bookstore
- Rockâ€™nâ€™Skate at Empire State Plaza RinkÂ with Chris Dukes Band,
- Siena Men’s Basketball vs. RiderÂ atÂ Times Union Center
- Winter WonderLARKÂ atÂ Lark Street Business Improvement District
- Candlelight Evening at the Farm at the Farmers’ Museum in Cooperstown
- Snow SillinessÂ atÂ Wilton Wildlife Preserve and Park
- Holiday Craft Class for children and caregivers with Cornell Cooperative Extension of Schenectady County at Central Park. Make a mini-terrarium, herbal soaps, and recycled gifts.
- Â Story and Game Time for Kids Ages 5 through 12 at The Language Learning Institute
- Gingerbread Funshop!Â atÂ The Upstate Artists Guild
- Art for AllÂ atÂ Albany Institute of History and Art
- Hanukkah Musical Celebration with Cantor Deborah Katchko-GrayÂ atÂ Schenectady Jewish Community Center (JCC)
- Dreidels N Donuts Chanukah Celebration- Grand Lego Menorah with Clifton Park Chabad at Clifton Park Center Mall
- Family Sunday: Holiday CardsÂ atÂ The Arts Center of the Capital Region
- Jr. Birders’ Birch Log Feeder & Winter Adaptations at Thacher Nature Center — Make a birch log suet feeder to give as a gift or hang in your own yard!
- This listing/description is from Mamtoga: Danâ€™s Dreams: A Celebration of Life and Hope will be held on Sunday, December 9th at the Ballston Spa Elks Lodge. This family friendly event will raise funds for research into the cause and treatments for Niemann-Pick Disease in honor of Daniel. The event will have kidâ€™s activities, music, raffles and NNPD awareness information. This runs from 2-7 pm.
- Jazz Concert by Empire State Youth OrchestraÂ atÂ Empire State Youth Orchestra