Holy crap! Just when you were saying, please, somebody deliver me from this heat and rescue me from my sweaty, messy house, and just give me something besides the pool to do so that I can give the kids a break before their eyes turn permanently bloodshot and their hair turns green due to overchlorination, guess what’s happening this weekend?
Proctors is having their (first annual) Animation Festival!Â With a huge range of child-friendly features, and $3 tickets! Or $15 if you just want to spend the whole time (from the 10th to the 16th) there!Â Which I’m tempted to do!Â And on Monday & Wednesday night they have Oscar-Nominated Shorts, which I always want to see in a theater, and so I think I might have to see if I can drum up a babysitter.
Here’s what else is going on this weekend:
- From July 7th to 11th, the Family Players of North-Eastern New York are showing Seussical the Musical at 7:30 pm at Tawasentha Park in Guilderland.Â If anyone goes, will you fill us all in?
- Annie Get Your Gun continues at the Park Playhouse on Tuesday the 6th at 8 pm.
- The Tioga County Fair continues through the 10th.
- Keep in mind that we’re now into the super-short Ballet Season at SPAC.Â I desperately want to go when it’s not so freakin’ hot, but we have such a packed calendar that I don’t know if we’re going to make it. . . .
Friday evening, July 9th:
- From 5-10 pm, itâ€™s Schenectady County SummerNight in Downtown Schenectady:Â music, activities, and fireworks.
- Itâ€™s Family Night at SPAC.Â Before the NYC Balletâ€™s performance there will be activities for kids beginning at 6 pm.
- At 6:30 pm, thereâ€™s a drop-in Chess Club at Guilderland Public Library.
- At 7 pm, theyâ€™re showing Pollyanna at Guilderland Public Library.Â Â And yes, there will be popcorn.
- Take a Ghost Walk through Saratoga. $10/adult, $5 kids 7-11,Â This is every Friday through the summer.
- Theyâ€™ll be showing Monsters vs. Aliens at Tawasentha Park in Guilderland at 8 pm.
Saturday, July 10th:
- From 10 am to 6 pm there’s a Wags and Whiskers Family Fun Fair at Maple Ski Ridge.Â It’s a free fundraiser for the SPCA, and pets are invited, too.
- Fossils Rock! at 10 am at Thacher Nature Center.
- It’s Countryfest at the Altamont Fairgrounds.Â $40 at the door, kids 10 and under free.
- From 10 am to 5 pm, there’s Art in the Park in Congress Park in Saratoga.
- The Town of Wilton is having a Community Day from 11 am to 9 pm.Â Food, music, rides, ponies, fireworks.
- Learn about Karner Blue Butterflies at 11 am at Albany Pine Bush.Â This park gets really very hot.Â I’ve got to recommend against this one for today.Â Cal to register; $2/person, $5/family.
- The Delaware Branch Library is having a free Summer Splash Party from 1-4 pm–they promise wet and wild fun outside, including a free bounce house, misting tent, and water slide.
- At 1 pm the Schenectady Museum is doing a preschool-oriented planetarium show.Â $4 in addition to museum admission.
- At 2 pm Andy the Music Man will be playing at Henry Hudson Town Park in Bethlehem.Â Free, with a bounce house, too.
- At 3 pm & 7 pm you can see Steps to Suffrage: Musical Youth Drama at Boght Arts Center in Cohoes.Â $6/adults, $5/students.
- The Powers Park Concert Series in Troy kicks off with a Cryin’ Out Loud Dance Party from 6-8:30 pm.
- Ernie Williams will be playing blues at Freedom Park in Scotia at 7 pm.
- There are Poets in the Park from 7-9 pm in Washington Park on Saturdays in July.
Sunday, July 11th