Phew, you guys, I’m tired! I have a cold which seems to be resisting even my beloved Theraflu, it was Back-to-School Night for the big girl, it’s our last night without Daddy, and I just realized that my Netflix chick flick is foreign-with-subtitles. Which means I can’t multitask. I’m just going to stop looking for stuff. Sorry. Still, it’s well over 20 things to do, so hopefully you won’t suffer too much, right?
- The Harvest Days on the Byway at Riverview Orchards starts on Friday evening and continues all weekend. Bouncy house, storytelling, fireworks, and much more.
- It’s the Adirondack Balloon Festival. As in, hot air balloons.
- Toy Story 3 is showing for free at 8 pm on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday at Union College. It’s free and open to the public.
- There’s a self-driven Garden of Eatin’ Tour of local farms.
- The circus is at the Glens Falls Civic Center this weekend.
- The 11th Annual Hudson River Ramble continues with a variety of activities. I was having difficulty with the search, but the events map was more helpful.
Evening of Friday the 24th:
Saturday the 25th:
- It’s Free Museum Day. Free admission to many museums: click here for a list and to print a required ticket.
- From 9 am to 3 pm, there’s a free Children’s Book Festival and Sale at the East Greenbush Public Library. Clowns, activities, food, bouncey bounce, and more.
- From 10 am to 4 pm, it’s the 25th Annual Wildlife Festival at the New York Power Authority’s Visitor Center. This is a drive–50 miles southwest of Albany–but it’s free and there are a ton of animals and activities, along with an Energy Expo for the grown-ups. I’d be interested in hearing if anyone’s ever gone to this one and if it’s worth the trip.
- There’s a Wheels in the Woods car show from 10 am to 4 pm at Thacher Park, as well as a guided hike starting at 10 am.
- There’s a 10 am Food Allery Walk at the Crossings in Colonie. Andy the Music Man will be there along with other activities and information.
- From 10 am to 5:30 pm, it’s Larkfest in Albany.
- There’s a Hudson River Ramble moderately difficult hike at Moreau Lake at 10 am–not suitable for the 5-and-under set.
- At 11 am you can learn about Buckmoths at the Albany Pine Bush.
- From 11 am to 5 pm, it’s the annual Schenectady Stockade Walkabout. It’s $20/adult, $10/kids 6 to 15, and kids 5 and under free.
- From 11 am to 7 pm, it’s the Troy International Festival. Lots of food and kids’ events.
- From noon to 4 pm, it’s the annual Fall Festival at Five Rivers.
- From noon to 7 pm, it’s Celtic Day in Schenectady’s Central Park. Music, food, dancers, petting zoo, ponies.
- At 1 pm, Sensemaya will be playing Latin Jazz outside the Albany Public Library.
- From 1-4 pm, there’s Art for All at the Albany Institute of History & Art. The theme this week is Hudson Riverscapes.
- At 2 pm, they’re showing Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the Pine Hills Branch Library.
- Local poet Rashaun Allen will be leading a Teen Poetry Workshop from 2-4 pm at Arbor Hill Library.
Sunday the 26th:
- At Grafton Lakes, it’s the Fall Fun Day and Annual Barge Chaser Canoe and Kayak Race. Registration begins at 9:30 am, the race is at 10:30 am, and there’s a potluck lunch as well as other activities and canoe and kayak demos.
- It’s Harvest Fest from noon to 5 pm at the Crossings in Colonie. Lots of music and entertainment.
- At 1 pm, Discover the Pine Bush.
- They’re showing Robin Hood at 2 pm at the main Albany Public Library.