It’s August. Just the thought of it makes me sad. I know, logically, that we still have a month of summer, but with chilly rain falling, it sure doesn’t feel like it. I’m already updating my calendar and coming up with a list of things that we still need to do for this summer. We’ve got to go camping, more trips to Great Escape, and we’ve got to get our money’s worth from the town pool, so this weather better start cooperating. Meanwhile J had a mini panic attack remembering her summer book report assignment, and M’s already trolling the websites for possible first-day-of-school outfits. Once again, my children will drag me, kicking and screaming, into the next transition.
- St. Joseph’s Annual Festival at St. Joseph’s Church – Broadalbin, NY. Games for all ages, Rides, Entertainment and Great Food!
- Ballston Spa Film Festival at Ballston Spa Film Festival. Free, family-friendly films with many screenings outside. Friday and Saturday.
- Dinosaurs! @ miSci at miSci Museum of Innovation and Science (formerly the Schenectady Museum). Discover dinosarus at miSci this summer!
- 2013 Schoharie County Sunshine Fair at Schoharie County Sunshine Fair . Opening parade on Wed. 7/31 at 6 pm with the Beekman Boys from the Amazing Race, then fun, crafts, entertainment, horse show, and more at the fair!
- Community Camping at Camp Little Notch at Friends of Camp Little Notch. Community Camping is the perfect opportunity to take the whole family, a group of friends, or just yourself on a getaway to Camp Little Notch.
- Open Cockpit Day at the Empire state Aerosciences Museum at Empire State Aerosciences Museum. ESAM WILL FEATURE “OPEN COCKPITS” OF HISTORIC AIRCRAFT ON WEEKENDS IN AUGUST
- CactusHead Puppets Presents: Just So Stories at The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. Enjoy three tales of mischief and magic that tell how some of your favorite animals came to be. Tickets may be purchased in advance at the Museum Admissions Desk or by calling (413) 658-1126.
- Double M Rodeo Friday and Saturday Nights — BBQ by North Country BBQ – Rotterdam NY starting at 6 pm, Rodeo at 8 pm
Friday, August 2nd:
- Friday, August 2: Saratoga Children’s Theatre Performs Disney’s The Aristocats at Saratoga Children’s Theatre. The Saratoga Children’s Theatre announces live performances of Disney’s The Aristocats at the St. Clements School, 231 Lake Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY on Friday, August 2 at 6 PM and Saturday, August 3 at 12 noon.
- Friday, August 2: Hands-on Horticulture and Herb Harvesting Demonstration in the King’s Garden at Fort Ticonderoga. Our gardeners discuss the individual plants in the herb garden, their uses, and explain how to harvest different types.
- Friday, August 2: Free Kiddie Cones with Kids Meal Purchase at Pirates Lakeside Grill on Fridays During Our Season! at Pirates Lakeside Grill. Get a free vanilla, chocolate, or twist kiddie cone or cup with purchase of a Kids’ Meal at Pirates Lakeside Grill! See our menu and hours at www.pirateslakesidegrill.com. 266 County Road 7 Nassau, NY 12123 (518) 265-7087
- Friday, August 2: Summer Cinema: Rise of the Guardians (PG, 97 mins.) at Bethlehem Public Library. Bring a blanket and pillow- we’ll bring the movie and popcorn!
- Friday, August 2: Museum Adventures at Berkshire Museum. Each week features songs, stories, scavenger hunts, play time, and more in the Aquarium and galleries. Program geared towards children 18 months to 3 years. Older and younger siblings are welcome.
- Friday, August 2: The Music Mobile! in Albany’s Washington Park at Music Mobile. Big voices for little people: singing, moving, instrument playing for toddlers. Gather at the children’s playground.
Saturday, August 3rd:
- Saturday, August 3: 4th Annual Wags and Whiskers Family Fun Fair at Mabee Farm Historic Site. Enjoy a day of family fun. Dress your pet to impress! The Annual Pet Costume Contest starts at 2pm ($5 entry fee.).
- Saturday, August 3: McDonald’s African American Family Day featuring Heatwave at Empire State Plaza — New York State Office of General Services. Come celebrate the traditions and contributions of the African American community through music, art and dance featuring a variety of family-oriented activities
- Saturday, August 3: Open Studio at The Hyde Collection at The Hyde Collection. Informal art studio time for all ages. Adults may visit the exhibition and collection while children age 5 and up enjoy art activities. Children age 4 and under must have adult companion in the studio. Free.
- Saturday, August 3: Nocturnal Nature T-Shirt program at Thacher Nature Center at Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center. Create your own night-themed, Glow-in-the-dark T-shirt!
- Saturday, August 3: Social Dance Saturday at Iroquois Indian Museum. Ancient music with voices and traditional instruments, stunning traditional costumes, social dances are for everyone. See long description for details on different dancers.
- Saturday, August 3: Flame-Rock: A Free Concert at Freedom Park in Scotia at Freedom Park, Collins Park, & Quinlan Park in Scotia-Glenville ( Mohawk Avenue/Schonowee Avenue ). Part of a series of free, family-oriented summer concerts, located near Jumpin’ Jacks and Collins Park
- Saturday, August 3: Big Truck Day 2013 at The Children’s Museum at Saratoga. Check out Saratoga’s big trucks and meet the people who drive them! Construction trucks, dump trucks, emergency vehicles, and more will be on site! All proceeds benefit The Children’s Museum at Saratoga’s programs and exhibits.
- Saturday, August 3: Saratoga Children’s Theatre Performs Disney’s The Aristocats at Saratoga Children’s Theatre. The Saratoga Children’s Theatre announces live performances of Disney’s The Aristocats at the St. Clements School, 231 Lake Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY on Friday, August 2 at 6 PM and Saturday, August 3 at 12 noon.
- Saturday, August 3: Chow Time in the Aquarium at Berkshire Museum. Visit the Aquarium and help to prepare feasts fit for turtles, fish, and even a skink.
- Saturday, August 3: LET’S GO EXPLORE AT FIVE RIVERS at NYS DEC- Five Rivers Environmental Education Center. A sensory exploration of nature geared for families. Center naturalists will lead participants in a stop-look-and-listen survey along gentle Center trails, searching for common signs of the season such as animal tracks, nests, nuts, cones & berries.
Sunday, August 4th:
- Sunday, August 4: Beaver Adventure Family Friendly Hike at Moreau Lake at Moreau Lake State Park. Come along on this short and family friendly walk and have your questions answered.
- Sunday, August 4: Music Haven Concert Series: Dona Oxford at Central Park – City Of Schenectady . Hosting the World’s Finest International Touring Artists in Schenectady’s Central Park!
- Sunday, August 4: “Torn” Film and Discussion at Temple Sinai. What makes a Jew? Can one be a Catholic priest & an observant Jew at the same time? The viewing of this Israeli documentary about compassion, conflict, and right to a history is part of the 2013 Saratoga Jewish Cultural Festival.
- Sunday, August 4: Solar Day at Thacher Nature Center at Emma Treadwell Thacher Nature Center. Use the sun’s heat to bake treats in a solar oven in this fun, hands-on science program!
- Sunday, August 4: The Puppet People at Freedom Park in Scotia at Freedom Park, Collins Park, & Quinlan Park in Scotia-Glenville ( Mohawk Avenue/Schonowee Avenue ). Children’s entertainment–bring a chair or blanket.
- Sunday, August 4: Day at the Dairy at Dutch Hollow Farm. Visit a working family dairy farm, milking 600 cows, located in Schodack Landing, NY