I’m home! More on the trip later. I’m sitting at the town pool like a complete loser, typing on the computer with a towel draped over my head. I was so excited when they started offering WIFI at the pool, but it hadn’t occurred to me that the bright, beautiful sun would make looking at the screen practically impossible. And yes, YES, I know that I should be frolicking in the water with my children who, after all, are Only Young Once. However, I spend quite a bit of time at the pool, my kids would rather play with the other kids, anyway, and I’m late with this post. So I’m alternating between squinting and actually hiding under a towel, and about every 2 minutes some possession of ours is blowing away. I secure everything, and then one of the girls picks up a towel or paws through the snack bag, and suddenly something’s been dislodged and is skittering into the chain-link fence again.
When I said to W last night that I was just too tired to work on this post, he chuckled and said, “Uh-oh, maybe they’ll fire you.” He had a point. I’m going to post what I have now before we hit Friday evening, but I’ll add updates/additions when I have more time tonight.
- The Wiz continues at the Washington Park Playhouse in Albany. This is free outdoor theater at 5:30 pm. Meanwhile, Annie Get Your Gun continues there at 8 pm.
- Giants Training Camp continues all weekend at the SUNY Albany campus.
- From 6:30-8:30 pm, there’s a drop-in Chess Club at the Guilderland Public Library.
- At dusk, it’s Family Movie Night at the Clifton Park Elks’ Club Pavilion.
- It’s First Friday in Albany from 5-9 pm.
- Peter & the Wolf is playing at SPAC. All through August, Friday evenings will be family-friendly events with the Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Ballston Spa Film Festival
- It’s also Ballston Spa First Friday from 6-9 pm.
- The Schoharie County Sunshine Fair continues today and Saturday.
- Today’s the last day of the Schoharie County Sunshine Fair.
- From 10 am to 2 pm, it’s Big Truck Day at Maple Avenue Middle School in Saratoga Springs. $5/kid, $1/adult.
- It’s The Past at Play at Rensselaer County Historical Society. Pre-registration is required.
- At 10 am, there’s a Green Building Tour at the Albany Pine Bush. Pre-register, and it’s $2/person and $5/family.
- From 10 am to 4 pm, there will be a Revolutionary War encampment at the Old Stone Fort Museum. Visiting the encampment is free (there’s a charge for the museum), with military exercises and demonstrations. This information isn’t on the website, but it was listed in the Gazette.
- Go on a Salamander Search at 10 am at Thacher Park. Call to register, and they’re saying that this is appropriate for ages 8 and up.
- At 10:30 am at Schoharie Crossing State HIstoric Site, kids 4 to 12 can learn about Basket Weaving and do a craft. It’s $1/child. They’ll also offer supplies for the craft on a drop-in basis for a few days after the craft. Which is smart. Because they’ve got to organize a bunch, anyway, right?
- From noon to 7 pm, it’s African American Family Day at the Empire State Plaza in downtown Albany.
- At the Albany Institute of History & Art, it’s Free Girl Scout Day for any girl wearing her sash or vest. Accompanying adults get a discounted $5 admission. They’ll also have a drop-in art activity from 1-4 pm.
- There’s a guided hike down the Indian Ladder Trail at 2 pm at Thacher State Park. This might be more appropriate for older folks–call to check.
- It’s First Saturday in Saratoga from 5-8 pm.
- From 5-11 pm, Our Lady Queen of Peace is having a Festa.
- From 6-8:30 pm, it’s School Teacher Rock at Powers Park in Troy.
- Sensamaya is playing Latin Funk at Freedom Park in Scotia at 7 pm.
- There’s a Car Show in Poestenkill from 8 am to 3 pm.
- From noon to 5 pm, it’s 18th Century Day at Historic Schuyler House in Schuylerville.
- At 1 pm, Discover the Pine Bush. Pre-register, and it’s $2/person, $5/family.
- It’s Family Sunday at the Arts Center in Troy from 1-2:30 pm. The theme is monsters, and you need to pre-register and pay $5/person.
- At Schoharie Crossing State Park, hear some Ancient Irish Tales at 6 pm.
- Ruth Pelham and her Music Mobile will be at Schenectady’s Central Park at 7 pm.
- Listen to some classical music at Freedom Park in Scotia at 7 pm.
- At 7 pm, there’s acoustic bluegrass at Clifton Common Stage.