Hey! It’s almost Friday the 13th! It’s supposed to be lucky if you were born on the 13th. . . which I was. So, woo, hoo! Of course, most people still go with spooky. In fact, at the Saratoga Race Track, they’re encouraging kids to come in costume and parade and trick or treat. Here are a few more things to do:
- The Wiz is still playing at 5:30 pm from Tuesday to Sunday at the Washington Park Playhouse in Albany. Meanwhile, Annie Get Your Gun continues Tuesday through Sunday at 8 pm. The last day for both of these is 8/15, so if you haven’t made it yet, now’s the time.
- Giants Training Camp continues at the SUNY Albany campus.
- There are Valleycats games every night, with fireworks on Sunday night.
- It’s Canalfest from noon to 6 pm at Mabee Farm in Schenectady. It’s free music by a variety of performers, and you can pay for boat tours as well.
Friday evening, August 13th:
- At 6 pm, the girls from Think Peace for Girls will be performing Sadako and the Thousand Cranes in Saratoga Springs. It’s free. Wow, this sounds like a very cool camp.
- They’re showing Monsters vs. Aliens at 7 pm at the Niskayuna Town Hall Gazebo. It was scheduled for Thursday, but they changed nights due to the weather forecast.
- At 8 pm, they’re showing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs at the East Greenbush Town Park.
Saturday, August 14th:
- From 8 am to 1 pm in Cohoes, there’s a Fishing Derby. See Albany Kid for details.
- There’s a Moreau Overlook Hike at 9 am at Lake Moreau.
- Learn about Oaks at Five Rivers at 10 am.
- Drop in and Dance to the Oldies at 10:30 am at the Rotterdam Branch Library.
- It’s a Crafty Saturday Morning at 10:30 am at Schoharie Crossing State Park.
- From noon to 8:30 pm at Central Park in Schenectady, it’s Carama 2010, a Caribbean Cultural Festival.
- At 1 pm, learn how animals stay cool in the Albany Pine Bush at Fade and Shade. Pre-register (you can do it online), and it’s $2/person, $5/family.
- At 1 pm, there’s a World Lizard Day Celebration (who knew?) at the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology. Pre-register, and it’s $2/non-member.
- The Dyer Switch Band will be playing bluegrass at Freedom Park in Scotia.
- From 8 pm ’til midnight there’s Swimming Under the Stars at Ballston Spa Village Pool. Check out Malta Mama for details.
- Go Stargazing at 9 pm at Thacher. It will be canceled if it’s cloudy.
Sunday, August 15th:
- It’s Discovery Day at the Hyde Collection from 1-3 pm.
- From 1-3 pm, there’s an Underground Railroad Walking Tour in Albany. $10/adult, kids 15 and under free.
- From 1:30-2:30 it’s a Teddy Bear Picnic at the Children’s Museum at Saratoga. You must pre-register and it’s $10/non-member.
- Learn about Vines (including poison ivy) at Five Rivers at 2 pm.
- There’s Storytelling at 6 pm at Schoharie Crossing State Park.
- Cherish the Ladies are playing at 7 pm at Central Park’s Music Haven Stage.
- It’s Italian Night with TS Ensemble at 7 pm at Freedom Park in Scotia.