On my hunt for events this weekend, I found another $5 off coupon for Water Slide World in today’s Gazette. Poking around the internet for special events, I noticed a For the Love of Dance 10-week program at the National Museum of Dance designed to offer 2- to 5-year-olds a smorgasbord of dancing experiences. Here’s what I found for this weekend:
- The Washington County Fair runs from August 23-29, 10 am to 10 pm.
- There are Valleycats games Saturday through Monday, with fireworks and an early (5 pm) game on Sunday.
- This is Travers Weekend, the highlight of the Saratoga Racing Season. I’m not a huge racing fan, so for me, this precludes heading anywhere north of the weekend, but perhaps I’m just a spoilsport.
- It’s Restoration Fest from noon to 10 pm on Saturday & Sunday: this is mostly young-grown-up music, but that doesn’t mean you can’t tote kids along.
- There’s a Mountain Bike World Cup Festival all weekend at Windham, including at Kids’ Race at 1 pm on Sunday.
Evening of Friday, August 27th:
- It’s Troy Night Out from 5-9 pm.
- Go on a Spider Search at Thacher Nature Center at 5:30 pm.
- From 6-9 pm, Mabee Farm is having their last Howlin’ at the Moon concert with Running the River. They’re also giving away hot dogs from 6-7 pm.
- There’s a Twilight Kayak Paddle from 7-9 pm at Moreau Lake State Park. Call to reserve a spot.
Saturday, August 28th:
- At 9 am, you can take a hike at Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site and learn some amateur birdwatching techniques. Call to register, and it’s $3/adult, $1/child.
- Starting at 9 am, there’s a Bike the Byway event at the Mohawk Towpath Scenic Byway starting in Colonie. I heard about this via the TU’s Clifton Park Blog.
- Take a Bird Walk at 9 am at Five Rivers.
- From 9-11:30 am there’s a Beginner’s Class in Wildflower Identification at the Albany Pine Bush. Pre-register, and it’s $2/person, $5/family.
- At 10 am, you can learn about Summer Insects at Thacher Nature Center. Call to register, and bring water, but no nets! This must be the perfect insect season, because everywhere I turn there are people organizing insect outings.
- There’s an Arts & Crafts Festival from 10 am to 5 pm at Mabee Farm. It’s $4/adults, $3/child or $10/carload.
- It’s Albany Latinfest from 11 am to 6 pm at Washington Park in Albany. They’ll have a pretty extensive Kidzone.
- Learn to fish on a Moreau Lake Fishing Trip at 10 am. Register; this event costs $15, which includes boat rental and supplies.
- At 1 pm, you can take a hike at Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site and learn about medicinal plants. Call to register, and it’s $3/adult, $1/child.
- From 2-8 pm, it’s the Uncle Sam Jam Celebration in Troy.
- At 2 pm, learn about Berried Treasure at Five Rivers.
- Go Stargazing at Thacher Nature Center at 9 pm–as long as it’s not cloudy.
Sunday, August 29th:
- Take a Mud Pond Hike at Moreau Lake State Park from 9-11 am.
- It’s a bit of a drive, but there’s a free children’s opera of The Three Little Pigs at the Belleayre Music Festival at 1 pm.
- Discover the Pine Bush at 1 pm. Pre-register, and it’s $2/person, $5/family.
- Learn how to Fillet a Fish at Moreau Lake State Park at 2 pm.
- At 6 pm, there’s It Happened Right Here! Factual and fictional storytelling about New York at Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site.