Okay, without being too obnoxious about it, does anyone think that we’d do well to–I don’t know–consolidate some of these freakin’ parades? I mean, there are a ton of parades. And I missed a couple that were tonight.
And now suddenly it’s hot! Hooray! I know some people hate the crazy switch from chilly to hot and humid, but I’m just so grateful that we’ll finally take the extra blankets off the beds and get on with some late spring-early summer already. I even enjoy a good thunderstorm.
Thanks to those of you who’ve emailed or commented with more concert ideas. I’ll add them to the list–I’ve just pretty much overdosed on fun with the parade hoopla.
Here’s what I’ve got for this weekend:
All Weekend/Starting Summer:
- It’s GottaGetGon, a Family Folk Festival at the Saratoga County Fairgrounds in Ballston Spa. Tickets are $50/weekend or $26/day for adults, kids 18 and under free with an adult.
- A bunch of museums are offering free admission for active duty service personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day. For information, check out the Blue Star Museums Initiative.
Friday, May 27th:
- From 5-6:30 pm, there’s a pre-basketball (see 7 pm) Chinese Street Festival in front of the Times Union Center. Food, culture, crafts, and more.
- It’s Troy Night Out from 5-9 pm.
- Starting at 5:15 pm, it’s Kids Night at Albany-Saratoga Raceway. Stock car rides, fireworks, and kids can bike on the raceway. Admission $10/adult, $3/kids 5-12.
- Go on a Twilight Kayak from 6-8 pm at Moreau Lake. Kayaks are available for rent in limited supply. Call to reserve.
- The South Glens Falls Memorial Day Parade steps off at 6 pm. Not to be confused with the Glens Falls Memorial Day Parade on Monday at 10 am. Uh. . . seems excessive.
- Parade at 6:30 pm in Maplewood/Colonie.
Last year I listed this even though I couldn’t find a link at all. This year I managed to find an Examiner post listing this, too.
- At 7 pm, there’s an exhibition WNBA basketball game at the Times Union Center. It’s the New York Liberty vs. the Chinese National Women’s Team. Tickets are $5 for kids 2-12 and range from $12.50 to $29.50 for adults.
- The Stillwater Memorial Day Parade steps off at 7 pm.
Saturday, May 28th:
- The Ballston Spa Memorial Day Parade steps off at 9 am.
- At 10 am, there’s a Wildlife Program at Thacher Nature Center. Get an up-close look at animals that are being cared for until they can return to the wild, and find out what to do if you encounter an animal that seems to need help.
- Take a Hudson River Kayak from 10 am to 1 pm at Moreau Lake. Call to pre-register and reserve a kayak to rent.
- From 11 am to 1 pm, kids can bike through an outdoor obstacle course in celebration of National Bike Month at the Children’s Museum at Saratoga. Bring your bike and helmet, free with museum admission.
- Go on a Karner Blue Butterfly Walk at 11 am at Albany Pine Bush. Pre-register; it’s $3/person, $5/family.
- At 1 pm, kids ages 4 and up can learn about Popsicle Science at the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology. Pre-register; it’s $2/non-member.
- At 1 pm, go on an Aquatic Adventure at Up Yonda Farm. It’s $4/non-member.
- Learn How to Compost with Worms at 2 pm at Five Rivers.
- Go Stargazing at Thacher at 8:30 pm. Cloudy skies will cancel the program, with Sunday as the rain date.
Sunday, May 29th:
- Take an Easy Nature Hike at 9:30 am at Moreau Lake State Park.
- From 10 am to 3:30 pm, it’s Sunday at the Farm at Schauber Stables in Ballston Lake. Many activities–like touring the farm, feeding horses and a petting zoo–will be free, while others won’t, like riding a pony ($5) or making a special craft ($3-5).
- The City of Rensselaer has its Memorial Day Parade. Opening ceremonies at 1 pm, and the parade steps off at 2 pm.
Monday, May 30th:
- The Downtown Albany Memorial Day Parade steps off at 9:30 am.
- Decoration Day activities from 10 am-7 pm in Schuylerville at the Old Stone Fort.
- The Berne-Knox-Westerlo Parade is at 10 am.
- The Watervliet Parade is at 10 am.
- The Hoosick Falls Memorial Day Parade is at 10 am.
- The Castleton Memorial Day Parade starts at 10 am.
- There are guided tours at the Schuyler Mansion starting from 10 am to 4 pm. $5/adult, kids 12 and under free.
- It’s the Glens Falls Memorial Day Parade at 10 am.
- The Lansingburgh Memorial Day Parade steps off at 11 am.
- The Bethlehem Memorial Day Parade is at 11 am.
- Learn how to Build a Bird’s Nest at 11 am at Albany Pine Bush. Pre-register; it’s $3/person, $5/family.
- It’s the annual Sand Sculpture Contest at Grafton Lakes State Park at noon.
- From 12:30-1:30 pm, go on a Nature Scavenger Hunt at Moreau Lake State Park.
- The North Greenbush Memorial Day Parade steps off at 1:30 pm.