Today we managed to fit in errands, a doctor’s appointment, a trip to the pool, a playground playdate and picnic, the first soccer practice of the season, some work, and Cute W’s second (!) fantasy football draft. There’s that end-of-the-summer urgency at this point. What fell by the wayside? Cleaning the house. Maybe tomorrow.
Actually, tomorrow we’re hosting M’s book club. Did I mention that M and her friends have a book club? This will only be their second meeting. At the first, only two of the girls had managed to finish the book (Bridge to Terabithia), and a third spent the first fifteen minutes cramming in the final pages. M was bitter. She’d finished the book early, so she got annoyed when we had to postpone. This time the book is The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. M loved the book, and she once again became aggravated when her friends weren’t reading quickly enough for her. I told her that she had to relax about it, but it’s especially funny because I’m part of what we call a Snobby Book Club because in my previous book club, people wouldn’t finish the book, or they wanted books that were too lowbrow, and so we became a splinter faction. Of course, writing this post made me realize that I hadn’t reminded M’s friends’ moms about the book club. Yowza. Before I was hoping that someone would show up who had read the book, and now I’m just hoping that someone shows up, period.
Here’s what’s happening this Labor Day Weekend:
All Weekend/Multiple Days:
- Â 2012 New York State Fair: Aug 23 â€“ Sept 3
- The 171st Fonda Fair!
- Columbia County Fair
- Schaghticoke Fair
- 31st Annual Iroquois Indian Festival
- Family Fun Fest at the Saratoga Race Track
- Big Kid YogaÂ at Breathing Room
- Pre-School Story Hour with Pam at the Open Door Bookstore
- Wiggle and Giggle at The Children’s Museum at Saratoga
- Family Fun Fridays at Saratoga Race Course
- Moreau Lake Bike Ride
- Troy Night Out
- Campfire Storytelling at Thacher Nature Center
- Wildflower Walk at Albany Pine Bush
- Stargazing at Thacher Nature Center