Once again, plenty to do for kids and families in the beautiful, sunshiny, tulip-strewn Capital District!
Here’s the weekend list, but as always, you can also check the Big Ol’ List for regularly scheduled events. Headed outside? Don’t forget that the farmers’ markets are all outside now; or take a hike or visit a playground (and then tell me about it, pretty please).
- Tulip Festival in Albany
- Baby Animal Daze begin at Indian Ladder Farm from on May 8th. Do you think that there’s any chance that if you go on the first day, you’ll beat the rush? Alas, probably not. $5/child, adults are free.
Friday evening, May 7:
- It’s First Friday Albany from 5-9 pm. The Albany Art Room will be open late, too.
- It’s First Friday in Ballston Spa from 6-9 pm.
- From 6-8:30 pm tonight, Globally Minded Teens and Tweens are invited to the Ballston Spa Location of the Capital Region Language Center to meet representatives of various fair trade & social justice activists as well as exchange students and other youth.
- There’s a parade tonight in honor of Ballston Spa native and Olympian Trevor Marsicano. It steps off at 6:30 pm–see the TU’s Ballston Spa Blog for details.
- It’s Tween Night Out from 7-9 pm at William K. Sanford Library. Snacks, videogames, pizza–plan to bring $2. For kids in grades 5-8.
- Go on a Frog Watch at Five Rivers at 7 pm.
- The Brown School is performing Singin’ in the Rain at 7:30 tonight and Saturday night, $5/person.
- At 7:30 pm, there’s a free Trumpet and Organ Concert at the Saratoga Spring United Methodist Church. It’s free.
- The movie Babies premieres tonight! I so want to see this–anybody else? I think that the only place locally that it’s showing is at the Spectrum.
Saturday, May 8:
- From 7:30 to 9:30 am, take a Bird Walk at Albany Pine Bush. $2/person, $5/family; please pre-register.
- They’re planning a free bird walk at Wilton Wildlife Preserve for today, but the time hadn’t been set. Follow the link for a phone number to call (I didn’t call, this time, out of a paranoid fear that it was the cell phone of a volunteer–it’s late). Pre-registration is required.
- From 9 am to 4 pm there’s a Car and Truck Show at Albany-Saratoga Speedway in Malta. $10 per carload, and it goes to charity. Rain date’s Sunday.
- There are two Birding outings at Five Rivers today–one at 9 am, and a more kid-friendly version at 2 pm. Call to register.
- The Town of Sand Lake will have a morning parade of Things That Go. . . It didn’t list the time, but vehicles will be meeting at Butler Park at 9 am.
- It’s March for Parks starting at 9 amat Grafton Lakes State Park. 5k or 10k walk and a picnic.
- Starting at 9:30 am, it’s the Waterford Riverspark Canal Festival. It’s free, and Malta Mama’s got more information.
- At 10:30 am at the Bethlehem Public Library, there’s a session of Bring your Mom to Balletone. Bring your child in grade 2-12 with you and get a workout.
- At 11 am, there’s a Scents Sense activity for kids 3 and up to do with an adult’s help at the Children’s Museum of Science & Technology. You’ll learn about smells and make Mom some perfume. $2/non-member, and you need to pre-register. Also, moms and grandmas get into the museum for free today.
- From 11 am to 2 pm, it’s the Busy Bone 500 at the Fairgrounds in Ballston Spa. Dog walk, pet tricks, and more. See the TU’s Ballston Spa Blog (wow! twice in one post) for more information.
- At 1 pm, the Puppet People will be presenting a puppet show followed by a puppet-making craft at the Lansingburgh Branch Library. For ages 3 and over; call to register; space is limited.
- Learn about Pond Life at Up Yonda Farm at 1 pm. $4/person.
- At 2 pm, there’s a Sitar and Vocal Concert at William K. Sanford (Colonie) Library.
- Members of the Empire State Youth Orchestra will present a concert at 3 pm at SUNY Albany. It’s $10/adult, $6/student.
- At 6 pm at The Linda, there’s a Youth FX Benefit Screening of teen filmakers’ works. Suggested donation is $5-10.
Sunday, May 9:
- Starting today and continuing for one week, Clifton Park-Halfmoon parents or grandparent of a newborn up to 6 months can stop into the library for a special Books for Babies gift.
- From 10 am to 4 pm, Scoharie Valley Farms will have a Mother’s Day Celebration.
- From 1-4 pm, there’s Art for All at the Albany Institute of History & Art–they’ll be making Fabric Collage Tulips. Speaking of the museum, they’re selling tickets to a special Tulip Tea for next weekend–tickets might be a nice Mother’s Day gift for someone.
- At the Arts Center of the Capital District in Troy, it’s Family Day Sunday from 1-2:30 pm. Today’s is Mother’s Day Story Play. It’s $5/child.
- Go For a Walk with Mom at the Albany Pine Bush at 1 pm. $2/person, $5/family; please pre-register.
Happy Mother’s Day, everyone! And let me know about other weekend events via email or comments!