Sure, the conventional choice for a Memorial Day Weekend post might be an American flag, but instead I took a picture of what’s in front of me:Â Isis the cat.Â Lookin’ for some love while her human just wants toÂ finish the blog post.Â It’s a little irritating, but not as irritating as sneaking rodents into the house.Â But, you know, she never gets into the garbage or humps my leg, so that’s something, right?
Here’s what’s going on this weekend.Â I moved the parade information & the Friday evening information into this post so you wouldn’t have to look hither, thither, and yon while pondering your options.Â Remember, too, that if you’re looking at the regularly scheduled events on What about TODAY?, well–a lot of them may be off schedule for the holiday weekend.
- The National Scholastic Regatta is in Saratoga Springs on Saturday and Sunday.
- GottaGetGon is a big folk music festival in Ballston Spa all weekend.Â $20 per day for grown-ups, kids 12 and under free.
- Swimming opens for the season at Grafton Lakes State Park!Â Yeah, baby!Â It’s open Friday through Tuesday, and it’s $8/car.Â On Wednesday & Thursday, there’s no swimming, so entrance is $6/car.Â And on Monday, it’s the Annual Memorial Day Sand Sculpture Contest.Â Registration begins at noon at the Beach Nature Center, and families can work as a team (now that’s some wholesome fun).
- There’s a pre-sale for Yo Gabba Gabba tickets for September 2nd at the Times Union Center. The password is BROBEE.Â Personally, just looking on the YGG website made me overstimulated.Â In a bad way.Â But we don’t get cable, so perhaps I’m just woefully out-of-touch.
Friday, May 28th
- Itâ€™s Troy Night Out from 5-9 pm.
- Parade at 6:30 pm in Stillwater.Â From Hudson Avenue.
- Parade at 6:30 pm in Maplewood/Colonie. Thatâ€™s all the information that I could find!
- There’s a Full Moon Hike at Moreau Lake State Park from 7-9 pm.
- Thereâ€™s a Taiwanese Dance program at 7:30 pm at The Egg.Â Itâ€™s free, but you need to obtain tickets by calling The Egg.
Saturday, May 29th
- Parade at 9 am in Ballston Spa.Â From Milton Avenue to Front Street to Low Street.
- At 9 am, they’re teaching Family Birding Basics at Thacher Nature Center.Â Bring binoculars.
- At Five Rivers, there’s a mostly-indoor program on bees at 10 am, and a program on bugs at 2 pm.Â The 10 am includes a craft, with a $3 materials fee for non-members.
- There’s a Bennie Brook Kayak Trip from 11 am to 2 pm at Moreau Lake State Park.Â Call for details, and plan on packing a lunch.
- Learn about Pond Life at Up Yonda Farm at 1 pm.
- At 2 pm, there’s a Wildlife Program including a look at injured wildlife who are being cared for at Thacher Nature Center.Â Call for details.
- Do some Stargazing at Thacher at 8:30 pm.
Sunday, May 30th
- Do a Nature Scavenger Hunt at Moreau Lake State Park at 11 am.
- Memorial Day activities from 1-7 pm in SchuylervilleÂ at the Old Stone Fort.
- Discover the Pine Bush at 1 pm.Â $2/person, $5/family.
- It’s pretty quiet, actually.Â Maybe you should throw a little barbecue in the afternoon?
Monday, May 31st
- Parade at 9 am in Schuylerville.Â This is another one that I couldnâ€™t find more info. on, although I did find stuff on 2009â€“super helpful, right?
- Parade at 9:30 am in Albany.Â From Partridge Street & Central Avenue, east on Washington Ave. until North Hawk Street.
- On the USS Slater, they’re having a ceremony at 9:30 am and then the ship’s open to the public from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Parade at 10 am in Hoosick Falls. From Key Bank on Main to Memorial Park. More info here.
- Parade at 10 am in Watervliet.Â East along 19th Street, then right on 2nd Avenue.
- Parade at 11 am in Bethlehem.Â From the Elsmere firehouse along Elsmere, Kenwood, & Delaware toÂ Bethlehem Veterans Memorial Park.
- Parade at 11 am in Lansingburgh/Troy.Â Follow the linkâ€“lots of information.
- Parade at 1 pm Parade in North Greenbush.Â I could only find one listing for this one.